O Donnells was built in 1802 by Viscount Ashley later Lord Palmerston as the Cliffoney Inn. The extension was added in 1836 by the renowned builder Nimmo. His cantilevered stone staircase remains untouched at the back of the Bar. The Pub remains in the old style that saw it through the Famine, the Civil War and two World Wars.
During the Civil War the roof parapet was used by the freedom fighters to fire on the constabulary barracks across the road. The Pub was the Residence of Lord Palmerston until he built Classiebawn Castle in Mullaghmore. Palmerston had Nimmo build the harbour in Mullaghmore and also provided a narrow gauge railway to bring the barytes Mineral from the mines on Gleniff to the harbour. it is said the ghost of Palmerston still haunts the Pub but we would say it is a very friendly presence.
The Pub hosts Irish Cultural Tours three times weekly during the High Season and a busy Traditional Irish Music Session on the last Saturday of every month all year round. The Bar extends a warm welcome to adults and children alike who can enjoy a quiet game of pool in the games room at the rear of the premises.
The traditional Bar with its beautiful black oak backdrop has a warm welcoming feel. The open fire with its log and turf blaze catches the eye of the weary stranger and local alike. Called the Guinness House O Donnells is renowned for its Guinness on Tap, with the barrell located beside the dispenser the locals believe this is the key to good drink. A steaming hot whiskey or irish coffee expertly made by one of the family soon restores the weary traveller.
The Family are happy to advise on the many local tours and amenities of fishing, horse riding, hill walking, shooting, beaches, surfing.
This page was designed by Web Design Wexford
O Donnells Bar Cliffoney,Cliffoney,Cliffoney, Ireland