The Anchor Bar formerly known as East Hill Bar built in 1864 as bar and grocery bought by Peter and Katie Spillane in 1929. They came from Bantry, West Cork. They had no family. Living accommodation upstairs. Peter died in 1952 and Katie in 1953. The bar passed to their grand niece Dympna Collins who married Dan Collins in 1955. The bar had a thriving business. It was known far and wide for sing-songs and card playing.
It is still well frequented and sing-songs just happen any night. Recently Bob Jennings of 103FM recorded a programme of songs history local folklore, recitations etc. and a CD is available in the bar.
The bar is still run by the Collins' family. It celebrated 50 years in the Collins name in 2005. The Anchor is the last remaining pub in the Holy Ground area of the historic town of Cobh. It is known all over the world from Nova Scotia to Ottawa to New York to Boston, Arizona and Texas. People call all the time. Germans from a sailing vessel called recently, they were told to call.
A nice warm fire, good seating facilities, pleasant surroundings, photo albums with photographs going back many years. A list of those who frequented the bar on the last day of 1999. Some books; National Geographic, Lifeboat Monthly, History Books. Irish is spoken if anyone is interested. Local history and folklore.
Spike Island can be seen from the window - it has a history dating back to 1865 when the prison was built. The best known inmate was John Mitchel who wrote the Jail Journal. Spike Island is empty now- what does the future hold for it? Another Alcatraz? Whitegate Oil Refinery.
Cobh is a historic town dominated by the famous St. Colman's Cathedral with its 49 bells. The old church cemetery is about 20 minutes walk. This is a cosmopolitan cemetery. Victims of many sea disasters are buried there. The Lustania graves are there. The victims of the Clonmult ambush are buried there. Napoleon's doctor from Cobh is also buried there. Jack Doyle famous boxer and singer is buried there.
Places of interest
The Cobh Heritage Centre is situated at the railway terminal
Fota Wildlife Park (4 miles)
The Jameson Heritage Centre (8 miles)
Cork City (12 miles)
New golf course opening in June 2009.
Cobh Museum is located in the former Scots Presbyterian church built in 1854, which stands on the High Road above the Cobh Heritage Centre. On display is a broad range of fascinating items depicting Cobh's social and maritime history which include:- model shops, boat building tools, mementos of a Victorian lady, photographs featuring: Cobh at the turn of the century, U.S. Naval Force in Cork Harbour 1917, sporting and musical events from 1895. Also, paintings and watercolours from the nineteenth century including sketches by Queen Victoria of the harbour - 1849 and Irish Glass. The museum holds a number of interesting paper items. Details available to students on request.
Hotels, guest houses and B&B's are a plenty; The Commodore Hotel, The Waters Edge Hotel, Bella Vista.
Midleton is a good shopping town
Cork City has much to offer.
This page was designed by Web Design Wexford
THE ANCHOR BAR,14 East Hill,Cobh, Ireland